It’s a good time for planting
Everyone’s favourites from Agapanthus to Hydrangeas and everything in between… from roses to trees and seasonal bulbs. Now is the time to get them in the ground.
Enjoy GardenShop’s seasonal offerings – your best-loved plants, available for planting in beautiful garden centre surrounds. Here are some tips for planting some of your garden favourites.
Our tips for planting Roses
- Dig a hole twice the size and depth of the rose bag, placing the excavated soil to one side.
- Add ½ bag of compost, a handful of granular rose fertiliser and a handful of Bonemeal or Superphosphate to the excavated soil and mix well. Take half the mixture and place it back into the hole.
- Gently remove the rose from its planting bag and place it in the hole – adding or removing soil. The rose should be planted at the same level as the soil in its planting bag.
- Backfill the hole with the soil mix, firming it to create a basin and water well.
- Finish off by mulching the basin with bark chips.
Our tips for planting Trees
- Dig a hole twice the size and depth of the planting bag placing the excavated soil to one side
- Mix generous amounts of compost to the excavated soil and add a handful of Superphosphate or Bonemeal and a handful of general granular fertiliser.
- Place the tree in its container, in the hole and check the depth – adding or removing soil. The tree should be planted at the same level as the soil in its planting bag.
- Gently remove the tree from its bag and loosen the roots lightly.
- Place the tree in its hole and backfill with the soil mix.
- Firm the soil around the tree, creating a basin and water well.
- Stake the tree by attaching tree ties and finish off by mulching the basin with bark chips.
Our tips for planting spring Bulbs
- Prepare your soil for planting with compost, Bonemeal or Superphosphate and Hadeco Flower Bulb Food Fertiliser (50g per m2).
- Plant your bulbs according to their recommended position, depth and spacing.
- Cover with soil firming gently
- Water well! Deep watering is the most important factor when it comes to succeeding with bulbs. A light daily sprinkling from your irrigation system is not advisable – water has to reach the roots.
For the best selection of plants and gardening tips visit your local GardenShop.