Article Written By: Greg Eedes
Store Manager @ GardenShop Parktown North
Happy New Year!
Welcome to 2019 – here are some top tips for your Garden, for the year ahead.
- Grow flowers for cutting to display in your home.
- Water wisely by watering your garden early in the morning, every 3 to 4 days.
- If you plant a new edible garden now, then you will eat leafier vegetables and fruits throughout the year.
- Use more organic compost in the garden this year to naturally enrich and feed the soil.
- Plant herbs and vegetables in between your shrubs as useful fillers.
- This year, encourage more good bugs to make their homes in your garden by planting a variety of pollinator-friendly flowers such as: calendula, borage, and asters. By creating a varied ecosystem in your garden, you are attracting beneficial insects and your garden will be less susceptible to disease, drought and the nasty destruction from pests.
- Perk up any room in your home with a potted plant. Benefits of houseplants include boosting oxygen and moisture levels in the air.
- Don’t over-water your indoor succulents. Give them plenty of sun.
- If you’re designing a new garden or upgrading a mature one with new hardscape, consider installing a system to capture rainwater, or planting a wildflower meadow.
- Remember to stop and smell the flowers more—to stimulate your senses and rejuvenate your soul.
- Spend more time in your garden! Time in nature is always time well spent!